1 marked by or calling for sportsmanship or fair play; "a clean fight"; "a sporting solution of the disagreement"; "sportsmanlike conduct" [syn: clean, sportsmanlike]
2 relating to or used in sports; "sporting events"; "sporting equipment"
3 involving risk or willingness to take a risk; "a sporting chance"; "sporting blood"
4 preoccupied with the pursuit of pleasure and especially games of chance; "led a dissipated life"; "a betting man"; "a card-playing son of a bitch"; "a gambling fool"; "sporting gents and their ladies" [syn: dissipated, betting, card-playing, gambling]
- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)tɪŋ
- present participle of sport
- Finnish: urheilu-
Sporting may refer to:
- Sport, recreational games and play.
It may also refer to a sporting club:
- Sporting Clube de Portugal, a sports club from Lisbon, Portugal.
- A.O. Sporting BC Athens, Greek professional basketball team (Athens).
- Club Sporting Cristal, a sports club from Lima, Peru.
- Sporting Clube da Covilhã, a sports club from Covilhã, Portugal.
- Sporting Clube de Braga, a sports club from Braga, Portugal.
- Real Sporting de Gijón, a football club from Gijón, Spain.
- Sporting Charleroi, a football club from Charleroi, Belgium.
See alsolookfrom Sporting
sporting in French: Sporting
sporting in Dutch: Sporting
acrobatic, agonistic, athletic, betting, cardsharping, casting lots, chase, chevy, chivy, coursing, cynegetics, fair-minded, falconry, fox hunting, gambling, gaming, gunning, gymnastic, hawking, hazarding, hunt, hunting, palaestral, play, playing, risking, shikar, shooting, sortition, speculation, sport, sports, sportsmanlike, sportsmanly, square-dealing, square-shooting, staking, stalking, still hunt, venery, wagering